Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Broken

So, I have most likely broken my thumb/wrist in the same place I've broken it twice before. Today, the girls and I went to babysit the 3 little girls that we watch. We decided to take Keyni with us and today, he managed to wiggle out of his harness and get away. While I was chasing him, I fell and landed on my thumb. I ended up going to the ER for x-rays. They strongly suspect a fracture. They weren't actually able to see the fracture (which is exactly what happened both times before) because it is one of the tiny bones inside the thumb joint. However, if they don't treat it, and it ends up being broken, then it will cause big problems later. So, they put a big fat splint on it:

and I have an appointment with the Orthopedic doc tomorrow and we'll see where we go from there. If it does in fact turn out to be broken, I would have to wear a cast for 12 weeks. There goes swimming this summer :( I'll update tomorrow.

7 comments:

Seth said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! That stinks so bad!

Didn't you have your wrist broken when we went to Sadie Hawkins our Junior year?

Toni said...

Actually yes, I did. That was one of the other two times I have broken this particular bone. That time, I fell playing soccer in P.E. You have an amazing memory.

Unknown said...

OUCH! I hope everything is ok!

Laura Jenkins said...

Sorry Toni!!!! Right hand or left hand???? I hope you feel better soon and pray you'll be able to go to the pool this summer

Anonymous said...

OMG! That stinks!! I hope that you can go swimming also. That would be no fun. :( Hugs and hope it heals fast!

becca said...

OH no!!!!! Oh my goodness, I just don't know what I would do. I broke a similar bone in my wrist several years ago...just like you describe - some little bone in there you can't see. Sounds nuts but it's true! Haha.

Oh I remember how much it bothered me at night. It wasn't so painful in the grand scheme of things, but at night it just throbbed and bugged the heck out of me.

I hope you're getting loads of pampering and rest.

Happy healing,
becca

Amber Schmidt said...

Carpal Tunnel is enough for me! Sorry to hear about that! Hope that you are getting good pain meds! LOL ;)

Amber