Thursday, August 28, 2008

One time, at band camp...

Some of you may know that I am the marching coach for a local high school marching band. I also write the drill that they perform on the field. It is something that I have ALWAYS been passionate about and it is a good outlet for that passion. It also allows me to use my degree without taking very much time away from my family.

Last year was the first year that they actually put a show on the field. They only played 1 song and only moved 8 sets. This year we are stepping it up a bit. They are doing a full show with 4 songs (an opener with drum break, a sit and spit, and a closer) and around 20-25 sets. Still not hard core by any means, but a vast improvement form years previous. Last week was band camp. This is the first year that this band has had band camp and it was SO fun. Can I just tell you that I am SO impressed with the kids who were there. They looked awesome. We practiced marching fundamentals every morning for a couple hours, and by the end of the week, they looked like they had been marching for several years. I am really excited for this marching season.

I know most of you don't give two cents about this, but I was excited and wanted to share. I will keep you updated as the season goes (maybe even with pics).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so great! I would love to see pics and things :) I miss those days, even though I was not very into it at the time, I do miss camps and things! :) Wow, that was a long time ago huh?
Great job on getting them looking good- I bet it is a lot of fun!

Laura Jenkins said...

LOL....I was a band geek so many years ago :) And I so loved band camp (I lived in MD and we went to WV for a whole week to learn our show). We were in TOB and competed almost every weekend from Sept to November....I played Clarinet for 2 years and the tuba for the other 2. We weren't very big and only really good for my first year of HS but I loved it :) And I miss it too :( I played field hockey in the fall as well so my life revolved around a hockey stick and a drill chart LOL

Cally Carlson said...

I'm jealous. I guess that makes me a total geek too. I wanted to go help Colin with his band camp but was too busy having a baby. :)