Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Yesterday in the mail we received the girls' Friend magazine. We sat down to read it and I realized that this month's issue focused on back to school things. It had an article about cheating, and several articles about bullying. I started to kind of freak out. I am going to have to THINK about those things now.

Cerise starts kindergarten on September 1st (sort of. that is the day she has assessment, then on the 2nd she finds out who her teacher is and on the 3RD, she finally has her 1st real day. What a crazy way to start the year, but whatever!). I am beginning to freak out!

Have I prepared her well enough? I know she'll be fine academically, but have I taught her to be nice and to not join in when other people aren't nice? Have I taught her to be polite? Have I taught her to stick up for herself so other kids won't bully her? Have I taught her to not be annoying, so she won't get picked on? Have I taught her not to be bossy or rude to people? Have I taught her to respect adults enough? Will she know how to maneuver riding the bus? Will she get lost in that big school? Will she make friends? Will she do well in school? Will she like it? Will she be bored? Will she like her teacher? etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! I know things will be fine. I know she'll be fine, but still, I worry. This is MY LITTLE GIRL going out into the big scary world, where I'll no longer have a say in who she plays with (at least while she's at school), or the words she'll hear on the playground, or the things she'll be learning. I am a control freak (there, I admitted it) and I LIKE having total say in how my kids are being raised and what they are exposed to (though not enough to home school).

I know I just need to take a deep breath, and relax and let her grow up and enjoy it, but, man, am I nervous!!!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Oh, you're so cute! You're right, everything will be just fine, take a deep breath, and say a little prayer. You're a good mom!

Ashley said...

Is there something wrong with me? I honestly never HAD these types of feelings when Aidan started school! I could hardly wait for him to start because he needed it soooo bad!

I thought that letting my kids go out into the big, scary world would make me worry. But, I'm amazed at how it hasn't. It does create some interesting, new dinner conversations...

Summers Family said...

I felt the same way last year for Sam, and again as he starts first grade those fears return since he will be there all day.
A priesthood blessing helped. Michael gives them to the kids pre-school start, and one to me for the same reason.
You can do this, and so can Cerise.

Jenna said...

breathe. It's okay... and it doesn't get better for first grade either. :) She will be great and you will soon wonder why you worried at all. If she's anything like you she won't have any trouble making good friends and sticking up for them and herself when she needs too. I second the blessing idea - it is amazing how much better you feel when they have it.